This week I worked on making the laser pointer more clear in engine. I kept the debug on the line trace in order to draw the default sprite at the point where the line trace collides with a mesh, as well as added to the blueprint so that the laser mesh scales along with the line trace. To keep this all updating live while the laser button is pressed, I added this functionality to the event tick, and created a new variable to keep track of if the laser button is pressed or not.
First up this week I made the laser pointer red to better stand out:
Next up I solved an issue with the apple baskets. The apple baskets, due to having their collision settings set so that the baskets used the complex collisions as simple collisions, became too complex to handle in engine and thus fell straight through the floor of our scene. Using convex colliers was also not an option because of the shape of the basket. So, I used five box colliders to add a simple collider to the basket portion until we can create custom colliders in Maya:
Finally, I placed a trigger box around a Tinman to test having him wave when the player approaches him. Ideally we will change this to a blendspace in the future to prevent the animation from popping in the future.
This week I investigated interactivity in VR using Unreal's example or motion controllers in action. Here is my version of the graph that I recreated in our team's project and the golden mushrooms that are now able to be picked up in our scene:
Next I brought the leaves and trunk separately into Houdini to scatter them and change their size procedurally. They were brought in separately in order to change the collisions on the leaves to 'none' later in the engine.
Finally I brought the trees and floor into Unreal:
In a later conversation I discovered that this pipeline was not the ideal solution to our problem of creating a forest, and instead used the Unreal terrain editor to create a more hilly environment and preserve separate UVs on each of the trees: